Well, with five days to go before we weigh anchor and set sail on the briny seas , the captain has given us our orders, and us crew are busy making this blog hop watertight, ship-shape and Bristol fashion . A little taste of what is to come seems to be in order.
Well, I will be talking about why, by the 1740’s the Smuggler’s cutters were able to outfox,outsmart and outrun the best the Navy had to offer. Technology , that was the key .
Ginger Myrick is writing about the Portuguese during the Age of Discovery – the country was at the forefront of Naval exploration during this time, and there voyages perhaps more than most ushered in what was later to become colonialism, so this should be interesting. (Oops, may have just started a Portuguese/Viking war here! )
Joan Druett has five different posts scheduled for each day of the Hop, all about women on whalers. The first is about Mary Brewster, the pioneering whaling wife, and the rest are about Viola Cook’s many strange sojourns in the Arctic, Sarah Gray and the cask with her husband’s remains, Martha Brown, who was marooned by her husband, and “George Wheldon,” the cross-dressed whaler.
That is three out of the twenty-three of us aboard this vessel . The full crew list is below,. More missives will follow as soon as the Captain sends them.
- J.M. Aucoin http://jmaucoin.com/
- Helen Hollick http://ofhistoryandkings.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/weigh-anchor-nautical-blog-hop.html
- Doug Boren http://doug1401ck.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/pirates-and-their-ships.html
- Linda Collison http://www.lindacollison.com/women-working-men-aboard-ship
- Margaret Muir www.margaretmuirauthor.blogspot.com
- Julian Stockwin http://julianstockwin.com/welcome-front-page/blog-page/
- Anna Belfrage http://annabelfrage.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/by-the-sea-by-the-beautiful-sea/
- Andy Millen http://wp.me/p3GFor-1W
- V.E. Ulett http://www.veulett.com/2013/09/16/weigh-anchor-nautical-blog-hop/
- T.S. Rhodes http://thepirateempire.blogspot.co.uk/
- Mark Patton http://mark-patton.blogspot.co.uk/
- Katherine Bone http://www.katherinebone.com/
- Alaric Bond http://blog.alaricbond.com/
- Ginger Myrick http://gingermyrick.com/nautical-blog-hop/
- Judith Starkston http://www.judithstarkston.com/articles/the-wonders-of%E2%80%A6age-shipwrecks/
- Seymour Hamilton http://seymourhamilton.com/?p=168
- Rick Spilman http://www.oldsaltblog.com/
- James L. Nelson http://jameslnelson.blogspot.co.uk/
- S.J. Turney http://sjat.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/nautical-meanderings/
- Prue Batten http://pruebatten.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/knowing-the-ropes/
- Antoine Vanner http://dawlishchronicles.blogspot.co.uk/
- Joan Druett http://www.joan-druett.blogspot.co.nz/
- Edward James http://busywords.wordpress.com/